Thursday, January 26, 2006

:: The Agnostic's Prayer ::

I never truly appreciated Roger Zelazny. The only things I had read written by him previously were the Amber Chronicles, which I first got to know of from an Inquest (back when they first started doing more fantasy articles and less Magic: The Gathering strategies) article on the world of Amber. It was interesting enough to pique my interest sufficiently to invest the effort to track down a copy of Nine Princes in Amber. The first series was passable, with some really great ideas. However, all that goodwill was destroyed with the haphazard ending of the second series with Merlin.

Lord of Light changed everything.

Now, reading his old works, I can see how he was heralded in his day. His works were singularly daring in concept and ideas, not afraid to draw on other cultures and mythologies for inspiration and a bad joke or two as his rascally trademark. He was truly a genius, and the world is sadder for his passing. I'm certainly glad that I had a chance to truly appreciate this man in the works he had left to us.

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

- Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nuts. i dun now wat u r talking abt...

17:08  
Blogger Mr.Blogger said...

Interesting but at the same time intriguing and contemplating.

Keep good postings going on !

22:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home